New Zealand Information Security Forum
The objectives of the NZISF are to:
- Bring together a group comprising individuals, organisations and students who are interested in exchanging ideas, studying and promoting awareness in their workplaces, organisations they belong to and in the general community about Information Security
- Organise or coordinate with other groups to organise seminars and workshops throughout New Zealand for the purpose of promoting information security principles, and furthering knowledge of the subject
- Publicise Information Security related activities within New Zealand and globally by forming relationships with the media, individuals, companies and other organisations
- Provide a resource for individuals, organisations and students with preferential focus
- Liaise with individuals, organisations and students interested in Information Security within New Zealand and globally
- Attendance at regular Forum meetings
- Fee reductions when attending Forum and NZSA sponsored seminars
- Attendance at functions organised by the sponsoring organisations or organisations that the Forum may have an affiliation with
- Opportunities to share ideas with other members of the Forum
- A regular Forum and NZSA newsletters
- Access to information resources, materials, products and services available to the Forum at preferential rates
At present NZISF is organizing or taking part in the following functions:
Organised on the second Thursday of every month, except January. The breakfast sessions are held at Owen glen Building, the University of Auckland, 12 Grafton Rd, CBD, Auckland, start at 7.30am.
Each session includes a cooked breadfast, 50 min presentation related to information security followed by a discussion.
Announcements are distributed through internet only.
If you think that you could offer an interesting presentation contact Lech at firstname.lastname@example.org
More details in the “NZISF Meetings” and “Next meeting” sections.
All information about these functions is distributed through internet only. NZISF members pay the attendance fee the same as the regular NZSA members.
Functions orgnaised in conjunction with other organisations or endorsed by NZISF; advertised separately.
Currently, NZISF are endorsing the following meetings/conferences:
- IT Security Forum
- OWASP NZ Day
New Zealand Information Security Forum (NZISF) cordially invites you and your friends to the July 2017 breakfast meeting:
Thursday, 13 July 2017
7:30 am, be on time, please!
Seminar Venue: The University of Auckland School of Business, Owen Glen Building, 12 Grafton Rd, CBD, Auckland.
Breakfast: “Excell” café, Level 1,
Presentation:OGGB Building, Room 325, Level 3
NZISF, NZSA and IITP members – $30
Students – $15
All others – $ 35, Cash or cheque, no credit cards.
Alternatively, credit my (i.e. Lech Janczewski) account at: BNZ, Auckland Branch, No: 02 0159 0235063 00. Please put the note with the payment: “NZISF March your name” and send me an email about the payment.
Topic: A beginner’s guide to the crypto of bitcoin
I will give an overview of the technical details of bitcoin and other e-currencies. I will explain how bitcoin works, the crypto it is built on, what is “mining” and in what sense the currency is “anonymous”. I will also discuss the notion of “blockchain” and what it is good for.
Note that I am not an expert on finance, currencies, taxation, or law.
Presenter: Steven Galbraith
Steven Galbraith is a Professor of Mathematics, whose research is in cryptography and computational number theory. He received his doctorate from Oxford University in 1996, worked at Royal Holloway University of London for more than 10 years, and moved to the University of Auckland in 2009. He has supervised 8 PhD students, served on the Board of Directors of the International Association for Cryptologic Research, and served on the programme committee of over 30 cryptography conferences. He also curates the ellipticnews blog, which a highly followed blog about Elliptic Curve Cryptography.
This meeting of the New Zealand Information Security Forum is proudly sponsored by:
NZISF is a Special Interest Group of the NZ Security Association. For more information about us see: http://www.security.org.nz/nzisf.php
Car park under Owen Glen Building accessed from Grafton Road. Take lift to Level 1 (Not P1) then enter the building.
New Zealand Information Security Forum has been launched as an independent organization in 1995. Since 2001 it operates as a Special Interest Group of the New Zealand Security Association.
Members of the NZISF work as independent consultants, members of divisions responsible for information security, academics, students and journalist, all of them interested in information security issues.
Mr Lech Janczewski
The University Of Auckland
Department of ISOM
Private Bag 92019
Auckland Mail Centre
Phone: +64 9 373 7599, ext 87538